
Monthly tips18 Sep 2019
Pressing Pause: How Mindfulness Helps Kids
When it comes to parenting, some mornings are easier than others.
For parents
Every guide the Ministry publishes for parents — admissions, placement, safety, health and the monthly parenting tips — in one searchable library.
332 guides
Clear filters
Monthly tips18 Sep 2019
When it comes to parenting, some mornings are easier than others.

Monthly tips15 Sep 2019
Leadership can be hard to define. You could say it’s the act of guiding or influencing a group of people, but that definition doesn’t quite capture the spirit of what parents mean when they say, “I want my child to grow…

Monthly tips12 Sep 2019
Let’s start with a little self-reflection, as parents:

Monthly tips12 Sep 2019
Gratitude is good for you — and for your kids.

Monthly tips12 Sep 2019
When my children were toddlers, we spent a lot of time grappling with two ideas. First, that you can’t get what you want all the time. And second, that what you do has an impact on the world around you.

Monthly tips7 Aug 2019
“I’ll never be able to ride a bike! I’m just no good at anything!” your child says as he throws down the bike and drops to the ground in a sulk.
Monthly tips6 Aug 2019
In early September, my first grader sat on her bed thumbing through a picture book that was way above her reading level. “I’m reading this book all by myself, mommy! I’m reading the pictures. My teacher says that’s one…
Monthly tips27 Jul 2019
Whether it’s a cancelled play date, an ice cream cone that falls on the ground, a scoreless soccer game, or a broken promise due to unforeseen circumstances, life is full of disappointments of varying sizes. While the…
Monthly tips19 May 2019
Observing a group of mixed-age early elementary school students at play during recess, I quickly noted a pattern of behavior. The oldest kids took charge with confidence, telling the others what to play and where to…
Monthly tips15 May 2019
First, the good news: Children are very adaptable.
Monthly tips12 May 2019
I remember the first bite. My kids had just entered a blissful stage where they could play together for stretches of time. I was quietly congratulating myself when I heard a 2-year-old’s howl of anger followed by a…
Monthly tips8 May 2019
It’s normal for parents to feel overwhelmed by family dynamics when we find ourselves refereeing the latest he said-she said debate. How did this argument start, anyway? And why did it end in tears?
Monthly tips3 Mar 2019
As parents we spend so much of our time talking to our kids and then wonder why they don't seem to hear us. In heated moments, we find ourselves stuck in power struggles, but can't figure out what to say to stop the…
Monthly tips27 Feb 2019
Concentration is like a muscle that requires regular exercise to strengthen. Some kids are born “stronger” in this area than others, but all kids can learn strategies and engage in practices that help improve their…
Showing 181–195 of 332 guides